Recent advocacy actions by Learning Forward
- December 2023: Learning Forward announced Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, ranking member of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health, HHS and Education with our federal policy award. Click here to read the press release.
- October 2023: Melinda George moderated a Capitol Hill briefing panel celebrating principals, and it was a terrific forum to call on lawmakers to fully fund education programs, including Title II-A. Click here to read the press release.
- Fall 2023: Learning Forward is contacting districts asking them to compile their professional learning impact data.
- Fall 2023: Learning Forward met with key Senate appropriations staff.
- July 2023: Frederick Brown sent a letter to Senators Murray and Collins, Chair and Vice Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, urging them to fully fund Title II-A. (See letter here.)
- July 2023: Learning Forward reached out to national partner organizations through the Learning First Alliance. AASA developed and sent out a survey to its members on our behalf to provide additional data in making our case.
- July 2023: The House Appropriations subcommittee on Labor, Health, Human Services and Education, proposed full elimination of Title II-A in their markup of fiscal 24 funding. Learning Forward released a press statement and a video of Learning Forward president & CEO, Frederick Brown, reminding constituents of the importance of high-quality professional learning. For a link to the press statement, click here, and to watch the press statement, click here.
- June 2023: Learning Forward's Capitol Hill Briefing, "Professional Learning IS Stronger Schools: Title II-A Funding and the Federal Education Budget," was a huge success! Title II-A received a lot of needed attention and well-deserved recognition as the conversation focused on how professional learning is critical to retaining teachers, intensifying academic recover, and meeting the needs of all students.
For a summary of the briefing, , and to watch the full briefing, .
- June 2023: Learning Forward joined with our colleagues on the Title II-A coalition to draft and secure 40 organizational signatures on a letter to Congress urging them to fully fund Title II-A. (See letter here.)
- May 2023: Learning Forward President & CEO Frederick Brown sent a letter to Congress advocating for a $210 million increase for TitleII-A in the forthcoming FY2024 Labor HHS Education Appropriations bill. (See letter here.)